Milk cooling & collection centers:
- Ol kalou
Satellite cooling stations:
(owned and / or operated in conjunction with our milk suppliers)
a) Eldama Ravine
c) Ndaragwa d) Muki
Eldoret cooling plant
Current capacity 80000liters per day and is located on Eldoret Kapsabet road in Pioneer.
Serving farmers from Uasin Gishu district , Trans zoia district Keiyo District nandi district Bungoma Kakamega Lugari West pokot and Marakwet Districts.
Farmers can deliver milk directly to the plant or can be collected through our current established route network along all the mentioned districts.
In the route network the company provides transport or shared transport field staff to grade milk and advise farmers at farm level and use our own cans to collect raw milk.
BDL provides farmers with other extension services such as animal feeds mineral salts milking salve which are also transported to the farmer to the nearest collection transport through existing transport arrangements.
BDL assists farmers with field days on monthly basis aimed at improving production and quality for raw milk. The field days help farmers to network with banking institutions for purpose of credit facilities.
Ol Kalou cooling plant
The Current plant Capacity is 40,000,but can receive upto 70,000lts once the ongoing expansion is complete. The plant handles between 30,000lts to 45,000 at peak.
Located in Ol Kalou Township, 3km from Ol kalou town on your way to Nyahururu town, The plant was established in 2000, and started receiving milk in April the same year.
The cooling plant covers Kipiriri and Olkalou Divisions of the Larger Nyandarua.Its also caters for supplier from some parts of Nakuru District.
Kigano cooling plant
Located in Kiganjo Township, near Shaka trading Centre on your to Nanyuki.Its 15km from Nyeri town on Nyeri-Kiganjo-Nanyuki road, just after Shaka trading Centre. The plant caters for suppliers from the larger Nyeri District, Kirinyaga, Embu, Some parts of Laikipia (Nanyuki) and Meru areas.
The plant was established in 2002 to cater mainly suppliers from the Larger Nyeri and parts of Laikipia but has extended it's service to carter for Embu, Kirinyaga, and Meru areas.
The plant, which is presently undergoing a utilities expansion can handle up to 80,000lts daily. The Capacity is set to increase up to 12O, OOO once the expansion programmne is complete later in the year.
The plant receives 45,000lts during the dry Season, but picks up to over 80,000lts during the peak season.
Since its inception, the plant has brought services close to milk suppliers. Farmers in this region now enjoy among other benefits:
- Efficient delivery of Extension Services such as Farm inputs (feeds, demormers, mineral supplements, farm visits to solve farmer’s problems etc.)
- Improved the milk collection time. Milk was previously collected as early as 2am, but these times were relaxed to 5am and this have improved milk supply in the area.
- Farmers with issues relating to milk supply can now be attended by the Unit Managers, unlike in the past where they would travel to ruiru for such services.
- More farmers are now accessed as BDL extended milk collection Routes. This will not have been possible, if the cooling plant was not established.
- The plant has offered employment opportunity to the locals