We collect / receive raw milk whose quality parameters are as follows;
- Fresh cow milk from a healthy cow
- Free of flavours and odours
- Free of any impurities and physical dirt
- pH between 6.6 minimum to 6.7 mamimum
- Minimum butterfat content 3.5%
- Low microbial count resazurin reducing dye test grade 5 – 6
- Acidity 0.13% - 0.14%
- Free from antibiotics, preservatives or any additive
- Density of between 1.029 and 1.032 maximum and solids not fat, not less than 8.1%
- The milk should be negative to alcohol and clots on boiling test
The milk will be rejected if in the opinion of the grader, is unfit for processing for whatever reason.
We buy any amount of milk and currently offer a minimum price of Kshs 18/- per Kg in all our milk collection centers.
We pay in arrears on a monthly basis and by 15th of every month payment is released to the various banks.
a) Guaranteed market
b) Dairy training courses
Brookside dairy ltd is a guaranteed market for all the milk of acceptable quality that a farmer can produce
We offer dairy training courses to our suppliers from time to time in order to help them improve on their milk production. The following topics are usually addressed:
- Dairy feeding
- Dairy cattle breeding & judging
- Dairy cattle health
- Clean milk production
- Banking services
c) Farm visits
Farm visits in cases where suppliers’ milk is repeatedly rejected so that root cause of problem is identified and quality problem solved.
Refer to the chart on grading.
d) Provision of farm inputs
Provision of farm inputs namely feeds, mineral salts, dewormers, hay, metallic milk cans of various sizes to suppliers on credit. We currently have a range of products from the following companies Unga Farm care, Sigma feeds ltd, Coopers K. ltd, ADC
e) Loan Programmes
We work in partnership with banks such as Equity, KCB, Family finance banks to issue loans to farmers who qualify to help them acquire farm equipment, farm machinery, dairy animals and any other goods or services that the supplier / farmer wishes to obtain
f) Participation in the Biannual Brookside Livestock breeder’s show & sale
Benefits of participating in the breeder’s show are:
- Exhibitors have a chance to showcase their livestock
- Farmers learn the latest technologies in feeding, breeding & disease control
- Forum for exchange of information particularly technical information
- During the biannual livestock breeder’s seminar at KARI Naivasha, farmers get into contact with international & local breeders to establish sources of quality livestock genetics